Since my previous article on Eight of the best free travel apps that will make traveling a breeze went viral, I discovered that there was a real interest in finding applications that would be useful to people who were travelers at heart. After doing a bit of research and checking the functionality, I can say that I have been fortunate enough to find 8 more apps that are equally delightful.
1) Apple’s Find My iPhone app is probably the must-have for iPhone users. If you can’t find your phone how can you use these apps, silly?
2) Crackle – funny name, good stuff. I have a Roku and Crackle is one of my favorite channels. Imagine my giddiness when I found out they have one of the best free travel apps for it too? This ‘channel’ offers some really good movies from back in the day. I am noticing a trend where they are offering more current movies these days. The good news is that the movies are pretty stellar, not just B movie only fare, but something that everyone in your family will enjoy. This is a must-have for anyone who has the capability of downloading apps.
3) TravelZoo – This mammoth travel deal aggregator is a fantastic resource for those who are seeking great package, airfare or hotel deals. I have used them extensively to purchase activities like Vegas shows for a mere pittance. A new feature on the site is local deals which in a lot of ways is a Groupon competitor. You can secure great deals around your city like a $70.00 dinner jazz cruise in New Orleans for $29.00!
4) Imagine this. You’re in a strange city, totally discombobulated and mother nature is not only calling, but she’s also screeching like Mick Jagger! It’s not clearly obvious where you can go to answer her call, so what do you do? You pull out your handy dandy Sit or Squat app and you’ll suddenly realize that everything will soon be alright.
5) Back in the early 90s, there is an old phrase that used to describe that new-fangled invention that would require my spending a couple hard earned thousand dollars for the pleasure of using it. The Information Super Highway….we never knew how right they were! Today we are inundated with DATA, it’s almost impossible to keep up with everything that you need to keep up with. This is especially true when traveling.
I was first introduced to TripIt! because it was an app in LinkedIn that I discovered and found to be user-friendly. It allowed me to create itineraries for each city I traveled to. I can add my entire flight itinerary, hotel and car rental info with confirmation numbers, dinner reservations and whatever activities I had scheduled can easily be added too.
The best part is that any changes that are made to the itinerary are automagically changed by the TripIt software. It will automatically add a map of the city that you are visiting along with directions on how to get to your hotel from the airport.
6) If you really want to get to the station on time, download the DB Navigator! It lists the timetables for over 200,000 trains throughout Europe. If you plan to take the train once or several times throughout your journey, this is a nice tool to have handy as you plan, monitor or modify your travel route.
7) Picture this….you are out with friends, they ditch you….you need a cab and fast! TaxiMagic will ask for your location and a list of taxis at the intersection closest to you will be displayed. Select the company that you want to pick you up by tapping on the “book” button.
Immediately, the driver’s name, taxi number & distance from you will appear on the screen. You will even be able to monitor the cab driver’s location via a map! Once the driver arrives, s/he will confirm your identity and your destination. Once you arrive, you can either pay via the app using your pre-set up TaxiMagic account or via credit card or cash.
8) Hikers, Backpackers, Outdoor Enthusiasts Unite! AllTrails is our last best free travel app in this article. It uses GPS Technology to help you find the closest hiking/biking/running trail, campsite, fishing hole or Park using your present location.
New apps are created every day and surely there are other worthy applications that will help us as we travel to our destination. Feel free to add your favorites!