This post may contain compensated links where we may earn money or products from the companies mentioned. Clicking on the links doesn't affect the price that you will pay. It does help us to keep the site running and offer content for free. We thank you in advance for your support.
Today’s post is from a new travel writer, Patricia King (no relation), who recently had the pleasure of visiting the Georgia coastal island, St. Simons with her best friend, Joann. Pat adores traveling in style but refuses to pay top dollar. Here she gives her review of her visit to one of the island resorts, King and Prince Beach and Golf Resort. Enjoy!
The historic King and Prince Beach and Golf Resort is the only luxury hotel on beautiful and charming St. Simons Island, GA, located 60 miles north of Jacksonville, FL; 65 miles south Savannah, GA. It is situated at the southeast end of St. Simons Island, where the island’s best beaches are. Now in its 76th year, the King and Prince is listed on the National Registry of Historic Places and a member of Historic Hotels of America.
On arrival, we were greeted at a hotel reception desk and shown to our room. The room was spacious and very well furnished with a comfortable sofa, coffee table, a work desk with two chairs, a big flat-screen TV, a DVD player, a room safe and a bed, of course. The bathroom was average in size and the toiletries provided were beautifully presented in environmentally friendly packaging.
There was also a small balcony with two chairs and a table. This was very comfortable both for snacking and for being able to use our computers outside. The resort offers complimentary Wi-Fi throughout so this was very handy, as it enabled both of us to go online at the same time.
For those who don’t take their own computers everywhere with them, the resort also provides a business center where guests can go online using the resort’s computers, which are equipped with printers in case you need to print anything out. During the check-in process, we were given an attractive map of the resort to help us get oriented. As well as the guest accommodation, there are several public areas for guests to eat, drink, and play, or just sit quietly enjoying the superb views of the white sandy beach facing the Atlantic Ocean. There is an array of guest accommodations (including seasonal and special discounts) for every style and budget:
- Resort Guest Rooms: Located in the historic buildings with oceanfront, partial ocean view or resort views, the resort’s most economically-priced guest rooms offer one king or two queen beds, yet offer the luxurious décor.
- Beach Villas and Guesthouses: These two- and three-bedroom villas offer a patio or balcony with either an ocean front or partial ocean view, combining living and dining room and a fully-equipped kitchen with place settings for eight. Both the North and South Villas include their own pools and separate gated parking areas.
- Resort Residences: The King and Prince present these seven gracious Guest Homes, each with its own highly unique ambiance and features.
Best Value Tips:
- Check for specials. The King and Prince Vacation Specials page of the website offer specials for every season.
- Pick your season. Color-coded dates show the resort’s deals and stay requirements.
- Call the resort directly. Reservation agents can be more flexible with reservations or tell you about specials that may not be online.
- Several rooms have microwaves and mini-refrigerators. Save on some meals and splurge on the daily breakfast, Sunday brunch or Friday night seafood buffets.
The historic Delegal Dining Room, famed for its stunning stained glass window murals and ocean vistas, hosts the resort’s “Southern Charm Sunday Brunch” as well as the Legendary Friday Night Seafood Buffet and other holiday buffets.
The other restaurants
- The Atrium Café Opens daily at 6:30 a.m., featuring Freshly Brewed Starbucks Premium Coffees, Tazo Teas, fresh fruit, pastries, juices and energy drinks. Allow our baristas to assist you in your wake up process each morning.
- The King’s Tavern is open daily for lunch and dinner and offers the only ocean front dining on St. Simons Island. Offering a delicious selection of fresh local delights, dine ocean side choosing from chef-inspired soups, salads, and sandwiches or try the signature Low Country Shrimp & Grits,
- Paradise Beach Bar and Grill Open daily at 11:00 a.m. March through October weather permitting. This is where island time truly begins and where food and fun become one. This is oceanfront dining at its best. Enjoy an ultra-casual lunch with a wide variety of choices, as well as their signature cocktails like the King & Prince Lifesaver or the Confusion in Paradise.
The Royal Treatment
For those who like being pampered, there is the award-winning Royal Treatment Cottage, which offers a wide variety of treatments. Most of the treatments are derived from traditional Eastern traditions dating back thousands of years and given a contemporary take. You can choose from the custom cottage, Swedish, therapeutic or sports-specific treatment, as well as reflexology and aromatherapy.
The setting is a historic beach cottage on the resort grounds just steps from the sands and sea breezes of the Atlantic. Here an intimate seaside retreat has been created where the utmost attention is given to experiences that soothe and treatments that rejuvenate.
The front porch with its comfy chaises invites you into the calming atmosphere inside where the casual warmth and refreshing decor of a quaint beach cottage are right at home with its indulgent and therapeutic elements. A fireside relaxation lounge, changing cabanas and quiet treatment rooms all ensure a tranquil experience. And while at The Royal Treatment Cottage for their treatments, guests enjoy the use of robes, sandals, and totes for personal belongings. Complimentary bottled water is provided with juices and teas available.
As you can see, the resort has everything for those seeking tranquility, however, it’s worth a mention that the resort does not only cater to vacationers. You can also do business in this amazing environment. There are more than 10, 000 sq. ft. of ocean front meeting, conference and function space, with premier catering, wedding, and special event services. The Sydney Lanier Ballroom can accommodate 70 to 350 people and offers teleconferencing, as well as state-of-the-art audio and video facilities. Finally, the staff was truly excellent. They did everything they could to ensure the comfort of their guests, and I really couldn’t praise them highly enough.
I had spent four days at the King and Prince Beach and Golf Resort in St. Simons Island, GA, fine dining at fantastic hotel restaurants, touring the island and making new friends with the local residents I met in the village. My nights were spent in the newly renovated room cushioned in a king-sized bed in the resort’s Oceanfront Building featuring dramatic floor-to-ceiling windows and a balcony overlooking the resort’s pools and the Atlantic Ocean. On this last day, I sat alone on the steps leading to the beach on the shore of the Atlantic Ocean. In the pre-dawn darkness, a cup of coffee in hand, I anxiously waited to greet the day. The clear, starry sky had whispers of clouds. The air was absolutely silent but filled with the salty smell of the sea.
The deep purple night gradually gave way to shades of red. The day was at last dawning. As the sun rose, the first sight was the arc of yellow shimmered on the ocean like an impressionist’s painting. Seabirds and people seemed to show up at the same time. I caught sight of baby dolphins coming up for air as they made their way out to sea with the ebbing tides. Flocks of geese made their way north in their famous v-formations. It was the perfect end to a perfect vacation. All in all, if you’re planning a luxury holiday in the Georgia Sea Islands at an economical price, I suggest you look a bit further than the usual well-known haunts and give St. Simons a try. And if you do decide to visit St. Simons, then where better to stay than the King and Prince Resort?
In a Nutshell:
The King and Prince Beach & Golf Resort
201 Arnold Road
St. Simons Island, Georgia, 31522
Direct: (912) 638-3631