Now that you’ve actually booked your cruise, it’s important to make sure that you take care of a few things before leaving. Here’s a handy checklist to assure that you will be ready before the ship leaves:
- Check with your medical and renter’s/homeowners insurance to see if you and your belongings are covered by your current policies when traveling abroad.
- Check with your cell phone carrier for international rates; beware of exorbitant roaming charges.
- Notify your credit card company and your bank of your travel plans. They will usually deny suspicious transactions from foreign locales if they weren’t forewarned about your plans.
- Make from 2-3 copies of your passport, birth certificate and identification. Have one copy of the documents on your person separate from the actual documents when in port cities, place a copy in your luggage and if you opt to utilize a stateroom safe, place a copy within it as well.
- Make sure your passports are 6 months or more before expiration when traveling. Most countries will not allow you entry otherwise.
- Be sure to purchase travel insurance. It truly buys peace of mind in the event that you find yourself unable to travel after booking airfare, car rental, hotel stays, cruise fare, etc. If you do not have it, if you have to cancel, you will lose any monies that you’ve spent.
- Your Cruise Line will probably send you self adhesive luggage tags that will have your stateroom number printed on them. Be sure to affix them to your luggage as instructed before leaving home.