Archive | Travel Advice RSS feed for this section
Tips and ideas on how to get the most out of your travel experience without breaking the bank.
I have always believed that you can find little hidden treasures close to home. I think Gatlinburg Falls Resort is one such treasure. It is located approximately six miles from the little town of Pigeon Forge, Tennessee with only the Smoky Mountains National Park separating the two.
I’ve noticed that one of the things that I tend to do while I travel is to snap photos for no good reason. Usually, I am on a tour bus or casually walking along a city street that I decide to immortalize my surroundings by capturing random scenes through my camera lens.
There are some places where you never feel as if you are a stranger. Even though, you’ve never seen the place before, you feel some kinship….some familiarity. You can find yourself walking down avenues and boulevards that you may have once dreamt about, but it was never real until now.
Nothing makes the heart sink faster than seeing long lines at airports, especially when those long lines resemble a cesspool of copper headed snakes and are just as pleasant. You know the drill….whether it’s waiting to go through the tiring TSA lines or through passport control/immigration, we have been conditioned to the art of the wait.
I’m always up for any alternatives to expensive airline or rail tickets. Earlier, I’d written about the Chinese bus companies that had cropped up to go into head to head competition with the transportation stalwart, Greyhound. Roughly six years ago, another company begin to make waves in the U.S. by offering newer, comfortable luxury buses with free wi-fi service (though not available on every bus) and a small but functional restroom in the rear.
Perhaps one of the worst kept secrets in the United States is the amount of money black women spend on their hair. I was once a slave to that multi-billion dollar industry, so I can testify how people have literally built fortunes on a societal construct that caused black women to do whatever it took to get their hair ‘right’
There’s one truth about large cities. There are lots of hotels. Lots. There will never be a shortage of them but there always seem to be a shortage of recommendations of which may be the best ones to stay at. I had the chance to stay at a hotel in Paris called Hotel Paradis. Paradise. That’s a lot to live up to and I was anxious to see how close the experience would come to it.
Hindsight is always 20/20. What is it about traveling for the first time that causes Newbies to hesitate taking the plunge? We’ve all been there; wanting to see the world, but for whatever reason, we talk ourselves out of it. Some reasons were internal….some external. At the end of the day, only Only the individual can ascertain what is keeping them from following those long held dreams.
I had planned to participate in “Traveling Brown Girls Blog Carnival” this week. However, things have been crazy, so I’m very late. I will still link to and credit Tracy for her fabulous idea though. The first topic is “Travel Etiquette Revisited: My Top 5 Travel Pet Peeves.” As we all know, traveling is a mix of pleasure and pain. Forthwith are the things that pain me:
Who are we?
Renee King is an Atlanta, GA based administrative assistant by day who spends most of her waking hours plotting the next excursion to anyplace outside of her zip code.
She manages to convince her daughter, Carisa, to accompany her as they are thrilled to view the world on a budget and share tips so you can too. Read about their adventures and how they manage to "sample the world at a fraction of the price".
Sign up now for new posts!
- How traveling improves your quality of life March 20, 2011
- How to get out of your own way and live the life you want January 23, 2011
- 12 Travel Packing tips that will make your trip less hectic! November 19, 2011
- Sailing the high seas on a…..freighter?? March 24, 2010
- The 12 of the best free apps that will make traveling a breeze! February 27, 2011
- When carving your path in life, make sure that you’re the sculptor May 1, 2013
- How does spending the night in an Igloo sound? April 15, 2013
- Where I am likely to vacation (i.e., run for my dear, sweet life) when the Zombie Apocalypse finally hits…. April 8, 2013
- A Review of Gatlinburg Falls Resort in Tennessee April 1, 2013
- Candid photos I’ve taken on trips that have inspired, surprised and puzzled me March 13, 2013
- Jackie Smith: Great piece of writing.You've captured the excuse...
- Bell - wanderlust marriage: Beautifully written post! Even as an avid travelle...
- Ruth: Enjoyed this article very much. I always try to l...
- Micah Vargas: In May 2009, Global Entry membership was expanded ...
- Jim: Amazing photos, I love the area! Usually we do a f...